The Hazen Lab
The Hazen Lab is a diverse group of post doctoral fellows, research associates, graduate students, undergraduates and visiting professors in microbial ecology and environmental engineering that are led by Dr. Terry C. Hazen. The primary research emphasis of the lab is basic and applied field microbial ecology, especially as it relates to bioremediation, biofuels, enhanced oil recovery, and water quality. The overarching vision for the lab is understanding the fundamental concepts of systems biology and environmental stress response pathways from the molecular to the ecosystem level to improve our knowledge of biogeochemistry.
- Hazen*, T. C....Plenary Lecture. Microbial Community Structure Predicts Groundwater Geochemistry. October 7, 2014. Asilomar, CA. International Symposium of Subsurface Microbiology 2014 (ISSM 14).
- ------. UTK 2013 Research Annual Report: Terry Hazen Mitigation of Oil Spills October 2, 2014
- Hazen, T. C. Invied Webinar. “OMICS” – The Fantasy is Over: the need for multiple lines of evidence. September 16, 2014. Knoxville, TN. Microbial InSights.
- Dr. Andrea Rocha, Recieved an Honorable Mention for her poster at the 2nd Annual ORNL Post-Doctoral Fellow Symposium. July 10, 2014
- Hannah Woo, Travel Award from the Society for Applied Microbiology Presidents Grant Fund to attend the International Symposium in Microbial Ecology. July 9, 2014
- Hannah Woo, Sigma Xi First Place Gold Winner Graduate Research Competition, University of Tennessee, Knoxville. April 28, 2014.
- Jiang Liu, David White Microbiology Travel Award, University of Tennessee, Knoxville. April 28, 2014.
- Kaela O'Dell who is an undergraduate doing research in the Hazen Lab for the past year won 2 awards in the EUReCA (Exhibition of Undergraduate Research and Creative Achievement) on April 16, 2014. Her work focused on characterization of bacteria that can degrade lignin from the deep sea. Her awards were for best poster in the College of Arts and Sciences and a bronze award for best natural sciences poster across the University. Note: She is a Microbiology major. She was also one of 6 undergraduates presenting research from the Hazen lab more than any other research group.
- Noor Alshibli who is an undergraduate doing research in the Hazen Lab for the past 2 years won 2 awards in the EUReCA (Exhibition of Undergraduate Research and Creative Achievement) on April 16, 2014. Her work focused on genomic analysis of Microbial Communities that can degrade oil from the deep sea, it included the internship that she did last summer at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. Her awards were for best poster in the College of Arts and Sciences and a bronze award for best natural sciences poster across the University. Note: Noor is a BCMB major. She was one of 6 undergraduates presenting research from the Hazen lab more than any other research group.
- ------. ORNL’s Keller, Babu, Hazen elected AAAS fellows. December 2, 2013, Oak Ridge, TN.
- Hienz, W. Four Faculty Named AAAS Fellows. November 25, 2013, Knoxville, TN. Tennessee Today.
- DugDug Research made simple. Distribution of Hydrocarbons Released During the 2010 MC252 Oil Spill In Deep Offshore Waters. October 21, 2013.
- Chemical & Engineering News. After The Deepwater Horizon Disaster. June 3, 2013.
- Newspaper. UT experts: BP oil spill gone from deep ocean, but remains in marshes. April 29, 2013. Knoxville Sentinel.
- Big Orange/Big Ideas: Superchip, March 15, 2013
- MicNite - Spring 2014: Terry Hazen - Video
- Best Paper for 2011 in Environmental Science & Technology - Video
- Terry Hazen Tennessee Governor's Chair YouTube
- Energy Biosciences Institute Seminar Terry Hazen